History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Weather conditions bring multiplication of wildlife

Nature makes the young "cute"
Another day to be a Minnesotan and to hear: "Did you hear how much rain we got?" You can count on it. 
I have never been in a position to correctly answer. I was awake when the floodgates opened, so to speak. Right during a deluge like this, I have to go around the house outside in four different places and make sure the drainage system is open. It can be blocked by leaves and other organic stuff ("gunk"). It's uncomfortable for a few moments when I first get outside and am getting drenched. Then after a minute or so, I don't even notice it any more. 
A ladder is required. Even with the drainage system open, I like to place a tarp down in four different places, one place especially. If all precautions are performed I'm in good shape. I hear this morning that a hardware store downtown got flooded. Flat roof! 
It was easier back in spring to remember to touch all the bases for dealing with a hard rainstorm. Now we're this deep into summer and I think we've had enough of the moisture! Would like to think it's just over. Mother Nature got it out of its system yet? We learned this morning "no?" 
 
Oh for a brown lawn
Waiting for the ground to get dry before your next mowing? Good luck with that. Remember the summers where your lawn would "burn out" midway through? Maybe not the ideal appearance but a relief from mowing obligations. 
A very mild winter followed by a super wet spring/summer. This is a prescription for wildlife becoming extra abundant. A member of my church told me Sunday he has been afflicted by foxes. A guy at DeToy's told me rabbits are so plentiful. The wonders of nature, right? Deer? Coyotes? Well, the whole panoply of God's creation. Some are charming to behold. Perhaps a majority are not. 
I personally can accept rabbits but I know of many people - gardeners I guess - who hand-wring about them. On rare occasions do I see foxes dart across my backyard on Northridge Drive. Several years ago I saw one lying comfortably on the grass in my backyard. Only time I can recall seeing that. 
Deer can make their way through. People in the know say that deer overpopulation can be a real problem. I have not seen direct evidence but I will not question them. 
 
Black with the white stripes, bad news
The black and white pest
Skunks have discovered the neighborhood where I live. I began noticing this maybe four years ago. I have made firsthand observations and also hear about it from others. So precautions really need to be taken. The months to be really careful are April and May - they'll have their young ones. The instincts of a mother skunk will give way to nothing. 
I noticed skunks out along the biking/walking trail for the first time during early summer. The skunks I saw looked to be juvenile age. I have noticed juvenile age skunks on my own property in daylight hours. My theory is that skunks contradict their normal nocturnal habits when they are juvenile. They are discovering the world. I saw a couple of them "playing" along the bike path, a sight you would have to deem as cute. 
And it would be nice to accept any sight of young wildlife as being "cute." God created nature so that the very young look "cute" as a defense mechanism for them - quite logical. 
This past spring I saw a mom skunk followed by her four juveniles "jogging" across my backyard, only about four feet from me. Oblivious to me. Let me insert here that they were hanging around because they did in fact get under my shed. That's where the mom gave birth. And let's see, "fit to be tied" would describe my state of mind for 2-3 weeks. But I reasoned the situation would be more worrisome if I lived in a one-story dwelling and had them get right under me. Ir happens. 
I swear you can watch YouTube videos all day on how to deal with skunk issues. I know the standard advice, but there's really no advice that guarantees a happy ending. You know what the No. 1 issue with skunks is. One of my neighbors to the west trapped several this summer. Doggone creatures. So you have to know the strategy when trapping, about how to avoid their particular attack mechanism. Ahem. 
I must say, during my period of tensions with skunks this past spring/summer, at no point did I detect even faint skunk odor. I am surprised by that. 
 
Goodbye then
I tried sending this skunk firm "messages" about how they really ought to mosey on. I applied a trial barrier around the base of the shed that would allow the animals to let me know they were still down there. I let time pass. I experimented with the barrier until I could be sure nothing alive was down there. Then I firmed it up.
I suppose the biggest hell on earth is if you live in a townhome or mobile home and a skunk dies while burrowed underneath. This happens. With me it was just an outbuilding. The worst that could happen would be to have to call a contractor to remove the building which I do not need. First it would help to have a couple large evergreens removed, would make for easier access. And then after removal of the trees and shed, to have a landscaper come, and they can charge a fair amount. Plus, having to water the newly planted grass which of course costs money too. Our water bills in Morris went up because of the water treatment plant - surely you've noticed. 
Coyotes, not benign to have around
In fact, prices for everything are going up. I'm surprised there isn't more public grousing about this. 
Actually if I were to have the trees and shed removed and new grass planted, I'd be happy because I like a nice open green lawn. I guess I'm a little different from my father that way. 
Yes the windbreak is nice. But I figure that I could use a nice heavy-duty snowblower to keep snowdrifts from forming close to the house. Wouldn't that be the main thing? 
Be aware there is so much more wildlife than the usual this summer. Sing along: "If we could talk to the animals."And be aware that many forms are not pleasant to have around. Be aware of the coyotes. A country/folk singer in Canada was killed by coyotes while on a nature hike. Her name: Taylor Mitchell.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment