History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Yes Virginia there was a Morris Fall Festival

The image shows buttons from the days of disco music!
 
The steady retreat of Prairie Pioneer Days (PPD) hasn't caused as much discussion or "buzz" as I might have expected. You might suggest this is worrisome, a dearth of interest in community events.
Do you agree there is such a dearth? Do you agree that too many people here seek to go elsewhere on weekends, primarily in summer?
And, are many of our purported "community leaders" in that category? You might say they talk the talk but do not walk the walk of being community leaders. They sure can talk, I know from personal observation. But in terms of actions, we have seen diminished commitment.
Believe me, the creation of Prairie Pioneer Days in the early '80s was a big deal. I was with the newspaper, obviously, and I remember working with Catherine Huebner of Extension to puff up the newly-created event. We were going "big league" with our community event, on a level hopefully with Glenwood's long-celebrated Waterama. I sure thought we succeeded.
Yes, the event did lose some luster through the years. I probably didn't set a good example at the end, as the only part I attended in the last year (of the longstanding format) was the Hancock bluegrass group at the museum lawn. That was enjoyable. There was a musical attraction at the park Saturday evening that year. It was a "Christian singer." I teased Jim Morrison about how he'd have to have that on his calendar: he rather notoriously disliked this genre of music.
It was nice to see a special attraction Saturday evening, because one of my pet peeves was how the park would go quiet Saturday night to accommodate Miss Morris. Miss Morris was held at the park at the outset of Prairie Pioneer Days. Then things got fancy, we got affiliated with Miss Minnesota - got the scholarship term thrown in (to show this wasn't a "bimbo" event, right? - and it had to go indoors.
If I remember right, it was held at UMM's Edson Auditorium at least one year. And I believe it was there, where we saw the wrong girl announced as Miss Morris! The correct girl had the last name Stoick. And it was in that same general time period in which we saw the wrong girl announced as junior attendant for the MAHS Homecoming. Wow! The oddity would go viral online today. I considered drawing a little cartoon with someone holding a paint brush next to a newly finished sign: "Welcome to Morris, home of coronation screw-ups."
I doubt the Stevens County Museum will ever give attention to this or other "oddball" things from our community's past. That's where my online writing comes in. Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it. As for my ability to remember stuff, let's quote Mark Twain: "When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened or not, but I am getting old and soon I shall remember only the latter."
 
Fall Festival in the 1970s here
I sincerely try to remember everything. Like for example, the Morris Fall Festival. After our summer Prairie Pioneer Days got the ax, I engaged some friends in conversation and reflection, and pointed out the old Morris Fall Festival. Mostly they didn't remember. It was the precursor to PPD. People like Huebner assessed that event, and even though satisfied, thought we could move up a notch. Hence, PPD.
I have very pleasant memories of the Morris Fall Festival. The problem with recalling this event, is that many people confuse it with a later event that had the same name, at the fairgrounds. Vicky Dosdall ran that - I believe it is no longer held. Kudos to her.
Well, the PPD of today has moved to the fairgrounds. I had no interest in attending the first PPD there last year.
 
East Side Park was the hub
I have the richest memories of PPD at East Side Park. My late parents loved attending it, dining at Luther's Eatery, listening to the Morris Community Band etc. I'm told the community band was not invited to play at the park in PPD's last year there. That's amazing for more than one reason. The Killoran stage was built precisely for this type of group. And besides, it's the Morris Community Band!
What gives? Unfortunately, I have heard a quite discouraging theory from a well-known person. I think we all feel this individual's theory likely has validity. So here goes: this network of community leaders includes people who really don't want to hang around in Morris in summer. I guess what we're suggesting here is sabotage, or to use gentler words, a self-fulfilling prophecy. People didn't want to be bothered with it any more.
Did this infect the Chamber of Commerce? Should we respond by doing less business in Morris? Well, business vitality appears in retreat anyway - closures and/or consolidation. Does the Chamber have much of a purpose any more? Good question.
The Chamber was proud to be associated with the old Morris Fall Festival. The Fall Festival was held at the park in the days before the stage. My No. 1 memory is of Lee Temte w/ guitar freelancing his entertainment around the park. Temte would be in the list of well-known characters from our community's past.
Our PPD has not only moved to the fairgrounds and into the fall months, it has been cut back since. This is unbelievable. We learn that it's now one day. This inspired a clever observation by the now-departed newspaper editor: Let's call it "Prairie Pioneer Day." Humor or a subtle putdown? We can't disregard the latter.
I have a treasured photo of my parents at East Side Park for PPD, a photo taken by Bettina Blake. Sometime I'll have it scanned and share it. Del Sarlette does that for me, like he did of the buttons that you see with this post. Thanks again, Del.
Del and I are early-1970s vintage for Morris High School - no "Area" - and as we get older, we find our memories of Morris history to be more precious. We were both involved in the Morris Centennial in 1971. Now, that goes way back, doesn't it? We take for granted these memories, but we should work to ensure there's still a viable community memory.
And hey, our Sesquicentennial is supposed to be coming up in 2021! I have to seriously wonder now if enough people are going to care, in order to have a special commemoration. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised. I'm prepared for the opposite, though.
The last year PPD was at the park, I was beginning to see "ribfest" as being too dominant, perhaps pushing aside other attractions. I should give credit to the ribfest people for at least being fired up. The whole purpose of this post is to encourage that stance. There are a couple side issues with ribfest that I'd prefer not discussing here, and it may be I'm off-base being alienated at all.
It looks like our upcoming summer calendar will be basically barren. Let me just say that I think it's sad.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment