History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Get up in the morning, find out the winner?

"Dark Star" of WCCO Radio, RIP
"It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
- Clive James
 
I acquired a new sound system long ago, clunky by today's standards but considered up to snuff at the time. It included a turntable. There was also a radio unit which I found almost impossible to use. I was informed, seriously, that the unit was "so advanced," it was difficult to figure out. Well. . .
We seem to be observing a like occurrence in the state of Iowa. What would be the term for this, new sophisticated systems that not only confuse and disappoint, they fail abjectly. So, Iowa is dealing with the aftermath of such a situation.
It's a state that has always been the butt of jokes. Seems to me like a pleasant enough state - but there are no cities large enough to support big league sports. That's what matters, right?
I have a friend with some background about the state. He said a certain type of ice develops in winter in Iowa, a type that requires some adjustment if you're not from the place.
We're tempted in Minnesota to think states to the south must afford some comfort due to a more gentle winter. Then again, it is said that the summer heat and humidity in those mid-America states creates discomfort. Perhaps the discomfort can match the depths of our Minnesota winters. Perhaps we have an advantage with our crisp snow in winter compared to the greater slushiness to the south. I remember an op-ed on these matters once, and it suggested that if you look around when driving through states like Iowa and Missouri in winter, "you won't see people doing anything outside."
But right now the issue is Iowa with its spectacular failure with its somewhat famous caucuses. The embarrassment was caused by the Democrats unfortunately. Let's not vote accordingly. The problem isn't ideology, it's tech and its mystifying powers. Like yours truly grappling with my long-ago sound system.
A system that is too advanced to be understood, or that breaks down to the point of abject failure, is pointless to implement. Think of the origination of the expression "get a horse!" It goes back to when cars were young and obviously presented their challenges. Advanced tech always wins in the end.
Upon learning of the Iowa Democrats' fiasco, I immediately remembered a comment by "Dark Star," whose voice was on WCCO radio for a long time. He is deceased. Dark Star reported a feeling of basic shock and incredulousness, upon arising the morning after the Bush-Gore election. He felt it was assumed that you could just get up on the morning after a presidential election and "find out who won." We plunged into the "hanging chad" mess from Florida and awaited court decisions. Many feel the Supreme Court handed the election to Bush.
It was redux with the Iowa caucuses of the current time: we couldn't assess results the morning after. Instead there was a fog of partial results and questionable results. So, this is where technology has brought us?
 
Memorable voice on radio
Let's remember Dark Star a little more: he was a pretty unhinged person, sometimes making candid and indelicate remarks which could pass in that earlier time but would be too un-P.C. today. One thing I have noticed about cable TV news today: there must be an understood rule prohibiting comments about any women based on "looks." That's a P.C. thing having to do with the "objectification of women." Women bore the brunt of the earlier abuse but the abuse could happen to anyone, like overweight people. Barack Obama once described Kamala Harris as "good looking" and then had to apologize. Isn't that something? (Wouldn't Dean Martin be rolling over in his grave?)
It's probably a good policy but none of us can deny that we evaluate people on the unacceptable criteria sometimes - we're just not supposed to say so.
Back in the days when I was on board with football enthusiasm, I loved the chemistry of Dark Star with Bob Lurtsema on the Vikings post-game shows. I am now ashamed of the enthusiasm I felt about football then. Those young men are beating themselves up out there. They do it because of the cheers and the money. We need to stop this system.
Dark Star could be candid and honest to a fault. These are endearing but also risky qualities. He had the kind of insights we notice in our personal friends who are salespeople by occupation. They "read" people masterfully, an important skill but scary sometimes too. There are some windows we don't want opened too much.
Whither the state of Iowa in light of the caucus debacle? The Iowa caucus tradition is most likely done now. If you wish to wax sentimental or positive about the Hawkeye state, let's remember the old song from "State Fair": "All I Owe Ioway." The song was not in the Bobby Darin version of the early 1960s. I remember an older version that paid homage to the state with this song. A portion of the lyrics:
 
Oh, I know all I owe I owe Ioway
I owe Ioway all I owe and I know why
I am Ioway born and bred
And on Ioway corn I'm fed 
 
The Morris paper, the water treatment subject
Really, I think our newspaper based in Morris - call it "Morris" or "Stevens County" - is fading away. This is just an objective assessment. People in the know say the Forum was going to pull the plug on the paper. So, the headwinds must evidently be great. Should we care? People my age are inclined to say yes, not so much the younger crowd.
The paper seems careless with this week's edition: the preponderance of Hancock news in the first couple pages has become downright irritating. This is the worst it's ever been. Surely the paper has received comments about this. I mentioned the issue to someone yesterday and her response was that Katie Erdman's background was Hancock. I guess Katie is the interim editor. There's been no announcement about a permanent editor, has there? Will we see one?
Katie is probably happy to hang in there. She gets benefits from the government as a senior citizen. The new owners are reportedly not generous with benefits, not like the Forum. I am informed that an ad salesperson has left here and gone back to the Forum in its Willmar paper. Because of benefits? I'd bet that's the case. Someone mentioned that there's only one "holdover" from the Forum regime in Morris. I guess that would be Nancy. Such rapid turnover.
Whither our softener equipment?
I miss the Morris paper's office being right across from the Post Office. Pacific Avenue is out of the way.
The current issue of the Morris paper finally, finally, has a decent exploration of the water treatment matter in Morris, but it's too late. Confusion has circulated for quite a while. I appreciate the new article because it supports the sense of confusion I had - I was not off-base feeling that confusion.
I have written five or six blog posts on the subject. If I remember correctly, I think the first one hit the nail on the head especially well: Remember that the City of Morris has an agenda of satisfying higher government layers, layers that command a reduction of chloride emissions.
I'm not sure how urgent that goal needs to be. Is it trumped up? Is it government running amok? This happens sometimes.
So the city in its desperation is going to try to get as many people and places as possible to disconnect their softeners. Is this a problem? Yes it could be, in the sense many people might be misled into thinking that disconnecting is enough and no special softening of water is needed.
The more I read and hear about this, the more I'm inclined to think some softening is wise and prudent. The issue isn't whether the new water is "safe to drink," although the city chooses to stress that - another vital issue is whether it's wise to have the new system running through your house or institution.
The first time you notice a dripping faucet, it may be due to water that is too hard. And then you'll have a plumbing bill. The new City of Morris water, softened to five grains of hardness, is classified as "moderately hard" according to information online that appears incontrovertible.
This week's top of page 1 article in our Morris paper supports my conclusions and suspicions. You see, the City of Morris does not want to go around telling people "you'll have to disconnect your old non-adjustable softener and spend a couple thousand dollars on a new one." The City knows this approach will grate on many of their constituents. But hell, they just have to get the chloride level down, to satisfy the government people who are watching over.
I have settled my personal situation, albeit with a grimace or two. A frustrating process ended when I got a new softener, following the advice of Eco Water which I now feel was sound. I was unsure for a time. The process happened just before the Christmas season and put me in a lousy mood for the season, unfortunately. I ended up buying some "New Year's cards" at the dollar store to send to some friends and relatives, because I got too late for Christmas cards, sorry. A couple of these people didn't even answer me. It's regrettable.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment