History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Friday, June 14, 2024

Can our "Lynx" draw attention away from CC?

A real "lynx" (brittanica)
Well it's June and we're following hoops. We're even getting close to the Fourth of July. We had such a cool spring, the midsummer benchmark has been sneaking up on us. Make that a cool and wet spring. 
Our "March Madness" in Minnesota was a full three months ago. So just like with the change of Minnesota seasons, we're supposed to adjust with our sports watching habits. Typically basketball is quite in the rear view mirror. Maybe it has a bit more current feel because of the Timberwolves' success. The Timberwolves ascended high. But the overall title was not to be. Our interest falls off. 
Sports is mere entertainment and we consume whatever we choose at any time. Timberwolves gave us a catchy little expression to stoke our tourism trade too? Right, Anthony Edwards? It shall not be repeated here. 
 
On board at the start
I wrote a column on the Minnesota Timberwolves for the Morris newspaper in the team's very first year. I had a primary source: Dave Loher, season ticker holder from here in Motown. 
The first year for a franchise is interesting no matter what happens. Home games at the Metrodome: I was on a fan bus for attending the first-ever regular season home opener. My, the sights and sounds from that night pop right back into my head. 
I went many years without seeing Mr. Loher but then I saw him again for the somber occasion of Steve Van Kempen's funeral. Dave brought up the subject of the long-ago Timberwolves column I wrote. He was pleased to reflect, although I remember he seemed to be getting tired of it toward the end. I was thrilled to see pro basketball get really established in Minnesota, after the fits and starts we'd had in previous years with teams like the "Muskies" and "Pipers." 
We did have sensational basketball with the college Gophers coached by the one-of-a-kind Bill Musselman. The colorful but volatile Musselman was brought back to coach Year 1 of the Wolves. It was obvious the Wolves were not going to be another Muskies or Pipers. We found our legs. We're proud of them and they are quite taken for granted in Minnesota's pro sports landscape. I was age 34 when they came into being. That's young compared to where my age sits today! 
I was six years old when the Twins and Vikings came into being. Were we a "cold Omaha" before that? I guess the football Gophers were the really big deal at one time. 
 
Our women's showcase
Fast-forward to 2024 and we have the "Lynx." I am always honest when I write so I'll admit that I cannot name one Lynx player. They are impressing at present. I am only aware of the team's coach because of the issue of whether a certain wunderkind female WNBA rookie should be on the U.S. Olympic Team. This story or controversy rose to prominence within the last few days. 
Our Lynx coach happens to be Cheryl Reeve who coaches the Olympians. She was caught making a less-than-flattering insinuation about the wunderkind girl. You know the wunderkind: from Iowa, initials "CC." There, I haven't even typed her name yet in this post. 
 
Reeve's beef
Reeve seemed alienated about how CC's first pre-season game with the Indiana Fever was upstaging the Lynx in terms of broadcast coverage. Most of us could easily see why that state of affairs existed. Clark catapulted to such fame, right out of Iowa, that she ended up on "Saturday Night Live" seated next to Michael Che! 
But we can understand Reeve feeling pride in her own high-quality pro team, the Lynx, named for a cat of course. (Maybe someday a team will take on the name "caracals.") 
Cheryl Reeve (fox9 image)
Reeve wrote "the WNBA is more than one player." 
Would be so nice if Ms. Reeve was correct. Would be so nice if yours truly could name a Lynx roster member. Honestly I am humbled or embarrassed. I have resolved to show greater interest. 
But this only works organically as you must have the inner wellspring to be a fan. I cannot do it just out of moral obligation. To repeat: it is just entertainment. To each their own. 
I honestly hope the inner impulse develops. We'll see. 
 
A step backward
After Caitlin Clark's dismal game Thursday night, it does look like maybe she's floating down to earth. As a rookie her fortunes are so hard to project. 
Coach Reeve has sought to make no further comment on the topic. You must be aware that Clark is not on the U.S. Olympic roster. People are bandying about on that. Well, that includes me too. A June 13 article had the headline "USA Basketball won't address tweets from Coach Cheryl Reeve that referenced Caitlin Clark." 
Take CC out of the picture and I would not be reading about Reeve at all. My attention would be on other things. I am happy for my Minnesota team's success. But I'm in a not-real-exclusive club when it comes to simply not paying attention to pro women's basketball. 
The WNBA definitely has an opportunity now. Indiana with Clark got its fourth win Thursday night but CC did terrible. Of course this can happen to any athlete. But I wonder: is the pro game going to cut CC's game down to size? I think it could, would cause real sadness. Such a refreshing new USA celebrity to come along, Ms. Clark. A product of Dowling Catholic in West Des Moines, Iowa. So many of our celebrities spring from "the coasts." How refreshing: West Des Moines IA which as I write this must be getting awful hot and humid. 
The men's NBA subsidizes the WNBA. So whatever the WNBA does, it needs to benefit the NBA. 
And I simply must wonder: if the women's game makes strides in popularity, as it certainly appears to be now, there will be less of a sense of "off-season" in basketball. And would that be in the NBA's interests? Fans in all sports need a break to detach and then renew interest for the next fresh season. 
Might the freshness be faded now? The NBA playoffs go on long enough the way it is - some sportswriters joke about it. And if the WNBA comes along in its own ballyhooed way now? Hmmm. Supply exceeds demand maybe? This can be a danger. And the NBA is subsidizing the women. If the women could pull their own weight, that would be one thing. 
I am perfectly willing to admit with no reservations that CC accounts 100 percent for my newfound interest in the WNBA. And I admitted as much in a comment I posted to the Yahoo! News article that I reference. We're talking about CC being the magnet of attention even as we try to pretend otherwise!
My comment:

I smile as I see how defensive so many commenters are on this subject. Like no one wants to admit they'd have zero interest in the WNBA if it weren't for CC. People go out of their way to emphasize how the league has always had lots of talent. Who could dispute that? But we're talking fan and public interest as a major indice. I will fall on my sword here and say that my current interest in the WNBA is 100 percent because of CC, and now I am broadening my knowledge.
 
"CommonSense" responded:
Yes, same here and making no apologies for it as there is nothing wrong with it.
 
"Ryan" responded:
You won't be falling on any swords Brian. It seems everyone not in the WNBA understands how much business CC has brought in. I won't even include ESPN running lead stories anytime CC sneezes, blocks a little kid's shot, or does anything really. Angel Reese is the anti-hero to CC and that's the only reason why people are responding to her.
 
"Nicholas" commented:
I'm still not interested. Go figure. It's not like she's exciting to watch like a Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Luka, Kobe etc. It just goes to show you all are in for the hype and not the game. Circus.
 
"Frank the Tank" responded:
The same commentators and media didn’t acknowledge WNBA at all the last 27 seasons. Maybe a 30-second segment at the end of a show. Now they act like they’ve been supporting the league for years. Hilarious.
 
"Kevin" responded:
I have zero interest in watching the WNBA with or without CC. It’s a horrible product.
 
"Jr." responded:
Honestly it depends on where you live. Women's basketball here in Connecticut has been huge since 1991 and "Sun" games have been selling out regularly since 2004. It's cool that the rest of the country is finally catching up, but I wish they would focus more on the sport than just one player. I have my favorite NBA player but it doesn't mean that I'm not watching all the other good games that come on. Why people are so obsessed with one girl just seems weird to me, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with identity politics. Oh well. CT is in first. That's all I care about.
 
CC, made of the right stuff
"Phil Rich" responded to me:
I agree. I wouldn’t watch unless she was playing. CC is special. Give her time to acclimate.
 
And here's "Steven's" response::
Exactly. I remember when the NBA was a near afterthought when searching for a sport to watch on TV. Then along came Magic vs. Bird and the league was instantly supercharged and must-see stuff. Then came Jordan who had the power to lift it even further. Player salaries are now ridiculous as a result. I know the WNBA will never achieve this level of clout, but increased salaries may make the desire for more talent to appear and keep the train moving forward. 

"Dean" responded:
I was interested with both the NCAA women's basketball and the WNBA solely because of Caitlin Clark. She shoots like Steph Curry who is my favorite NBA player. Both are generational talents.
 
"Roger Dat" responded:
I've been following the WNBA and women's college ball for years. As in, since Cheryl Miller, the first women's basketball star.
 
 "T" is skeptical!
And in six months I bet you will have lost interest and still know nothing.
 
And never is heard a discouraging word? As we peruse Yahoo! News?
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment