History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Friday, May 10, 2024

Doubleheader sweep on the baseball diamond

We're in a time for giving considerable thought to our local public school. The big graduation day '24 is coming up. There's the referendum where I suppose we cannot assume anything as far as the outcome. Can we? My recent memory tells me the referendum (referenda?) are slam-dunk for passage in this community. I must say it seems surreal for someone like me, age 69, who remembers from the '60s when it was like pulling teeth to try to get a referendum passed. That is no understatement. 
Our school thoughts are always close to what is going on with co-curricular. Since the kids are what it's always all about, I'll place my focus now on Thursday baseball results. Wonderful to get the opportunity to type some kids' names. It has become much harder to find timely update info online. Today I am in luck, so I can report on a doubleheader sweep on Thursday in Tiger baseball. 
The action was here in Motown. A friend tells me this a.m. that the Tigers are "still in the hunt" for the conference title. An interesting expression: "in the hunt." Well we're in contention. Now I have to look up if it's "referendums" or "referenda." 
"You say potato" etc.
 
Game 1: Tigers 6, BOLD 1
The Tigers worked to a 2-0 lead by the end of three innings. We went on to score one in the fifth and three in the sixth. The lone BOLD run came home in the fourth. Our line score was six runs, eight hits and two errors. BOLD's numbers were 1-3-3. 
Drew Huebner was our winning pitcher. Wow, he fanned 13 batters! And he walked just one in his six innings. He allowed the one run but it was unearned. Looks like we might be relying on Drew in post-season. Jackson Hallman had his arm called on to pitch one inning. He set down two batters on strikes. 
Let's look over the offense, so here we see Andrew Marty with a walk received and a stolen base. Riley Asmus walked twice, stole a base and scored a run. Ozzy Jerome socked a double, drew a walk, drove in a run and scored two. 
Kaleb Breuer had a two-for-four line including a double. Kaleb stole a base, scored a run and drove in two. Owen Anderson came through at two-for-four with both his hits doubles. His bat made noise! Owen drove in a run. 
Alex Asmus joined the parade with two hits in three at-bats, plus he walked and drove in two runs. Johnny Kleindl added to the mix with a hit. Hallman worked the pitcher for two walks, plus he stole a base and scored a run. Ashdon Hacker stole a base, drew a walk and scored a run. 
The losing pitcher was Hayden Edwards. BOLD's hits were by Tate Sheehan, Max Benson and Emmitt Flann.

Game 2: Tigers 10, BOLD 3
Our offense really got unleashed! Ten runs on eleven hits in this 10-3 triumph to complete the sweep. The orange and black shot out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. Then we came through with a big inning in the fifth: seven runs. BOLD was held scoreless until the fifth. 
We committed two errors while BOLD had four. The Asmus boys did our pitching. Riley was the pitcher of record. He worked five innings and gave up four hits while striking out seven and walking three. The one run he allowed was unearned. Alex Asmus hurled for two innings. He fanned a batter and walked two. 
The losing pitcher was Max Benson. 
We had a number of offensive contributions again. I am pleased to be able to share here. Andrew Marty went two-for-four including a double. He was also hit-by-pitch. Andrew stole a base, drove in three runs and scored one. 
Oh my, Riley Asmus got hit by pitch three times! That's amazing. Just accidents? Hmmm. Riley was able to hit when the ball came in normal: his boxscore line included a hit. He scored two runs. 
Ozzy Jerome had a hit, scored twice, drove in a run, drew a walk and stole a base. Kaleb Breuer had a hit and drew two walks. Kaleb also drove in two runs. 
Owen Anderson scored a run and stole a base. Alex Asmus had a hit, a run scored and an RBI. Johnny Kleindl had a hit and a run scored. Jonah Huebner went one-for-one with his hit a double. He drove in two runs. Ashdon Hacker was also a perfect one-for-one. Jack Kehoe had a hit and drew a walk. 
Landen Gibson worked the pitcher for a walk. And Jackson Hallman had a hit, a run scored and a walk. 
Three players each had two hits for BOLD: Hunter Malvin, Jack Kaiser and Emmitt Flann. Flann had a double.
 
Sharon Martin
Say it ain't so!
Visited Caribou Coffee this morning as I often do. Was pleased of course to see Sharon Martin in the parking lot. She has an ankle support these days but that's temporary. We need Sharon in good shape for walking her charming dog "Goldy." 
My encounter with Sharon brought me some shocking news. "Say it ain't so" but Sharon is resigning as a teacher! She'll be manager of the Willie's bakery dept. I told her how much I liked the fresh-baked muffins from there in the morning. Problem is, I have to have one every time I'm there in the morning! 
Leaving teaching! I could not imagine it, as I thought she really took to it. And that the kids took to her. However, sounds like the stresses of the occupation are catching up to her. How could any student or any student's parent possibly give Sharon a hard time? If you can't see eye-to-eye with her, you have problems. 
I went to high school with Sharon's older sister Edith. Was pleased to see Edith back in Motown for a visit recently. Edith and I graduated from Morris High in 1973. In those days I was a "stringer" for the Morris Sun Tribune newspaper under Arnold Thompson. I am a true old-timer having done work for Arnold. 
I wrote about Sharon and her twin sister Sheila when they played softball under coach Mary Holmberg. Sharon has a teasing way of referring to her twin sister as "my evil twin sister!" I am an only child and I try to understand such things. 
Will the upcoming school referendum pass? Is there really any suspense with these things any more? I doubt it. Everyone just has a ton of money I guess. I have Gossamer wings when I pay my property taxes (or maybe not).
Sharon Martin in the winter with "Goldy" in background.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment