History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Thursday, April 4, 2024

Out of the blue, Iowa lifts women's hoops

The image from LinkedIn shows the poster with Iowa Hawkeye Gabbie Marshall promoting her "Gabbizza" pizza! Fame spreads in such fun ways. Savor the moment, Hawkeyes!
 
Sometimes a mega story from sports and entertainment arises because it is simply a surprise. Let's consider that scarcity or the perception of scarcity is very important in marketing. A surprise becomes a surprise because it cannot be easily duplicated. Let's say it's like lightning in a bottle. These things can have a meteoric lifespan. What a thrill while it lasts. 
So I'm leading here to the subject of the Iowa women's basketball team. Even Iowa's top rivals must be abundantly thankful that the Hawkeyes and their star player came along. Because, this group is leading to such a high profile for women's basketball, surpassing anything I can remember. And it's sad in a way because women's basketball has been established for a long time. Surely there has been a procession of great teams and players. 
Iowa? Well, part of the surprise element here is that the phenomenon comes out of Iowa. A nice enough state to be sure but a state with no major league teams. It is just not a major league state. But the "hot" sports topic now is the University of Iowa Hawkeyes of women's basketball. And obviously there is an individual catalyst, this Caitlin Clark. They're in the 2024 "Final 4." 
Normally I'd pay hardly any attention to the women's Final 4. Actually, probably not much attention to the men either as I have no cable TV. I have to look for live telecasts as "livestream" on laptop. I have fair success with this, only fair. Of course, "free" viewing for people like me would not really be "free" because we can assume there would be advertising dollars spent. Alas, advertising isn't sufficient by itself for supporting sports telecasts. 
And why even be jerked around by the teams and leagues that will bounce from one TV package to another? So the Twins get on "YouTube TV" which presumably causes people to sign up for it. Well then, you know what happened: the Twins make a switch. I remember considerable discussion about this on Fargo radio. So I stopped worrying about it. No cable TV for yours truly, plus no online-based sports via subscription. I'll "scavenge" to see what I can find. 
Iowa has won four games in getting to the Final 4. For one game I found a guy doing a live podcast description of the game. He had access to the live video and he shared. A fun dude to watch really. At one point he broke down and simply uttered a profanity - I wasn't offended - because he had just seen Clark make a long 3-pointer and couldn't help it. I actually thought it was charming. 
 
"Everybody Knows" indeed
I have been able to find some live coverage online. And surely we can find commentary and highlights all over the place. This includes a tribute piece to Clark that features the song "Everybody Knows I Love You." 
Go Kate Martin!
So many of us are in love with Iowa women's basketball. I slowly became familiar with players other than Clark. There ought to be a series of trading cards! Kate Martin, Gabbie Marshall et al. 
Gabbie has filmed a charming video to promote her own pizza creation called "Gabbizza." I wonder if the U of Minnesota is jealous. I could not name for you even one player for the U of M. We all followed the career of Lindsay Whalen with such great interest: a "household name" in Minnesota. And then she was tapped as coach because surely she could parlay her talent into being a great leader, right? 
I know that retired judge Keith Davison was very enthused about Whalen becoming coach, was very optimistic. I reserved judgment. Sadly, Whalen had an ignominious departure. So we're left with what? A U of M Gophers team that got totally dominated by Iowa. Well congratulations to Iowa which is hardly in the habit of being at the forefront of college sports discussions. They are most surely there now. "Lighting in a bottle." 
Y'all know sports success can be so fleeting. Soak in the attention, girls, savor each day while your talents are being so lauded. You've earned it. But the end of this "run" will come. They might lose tomorrow (Friday) when the Final 4 gets going. Everyone had concerns that they might lose to LSU. Well, Clark had 100 percent poise and had another of her highlight reel games. Awesome. 
 
Aethetics? Taste?
I have told friends that part of the appeal of this team is that Clark and her mates look like real girls. I'm walking on eggshells sharing this thought - I know that. Might I get a dozen readers for this blog post? Who knows. But if I have thoughts in my head I might as well share them. 
Like, the thought that I'm so ecstatic seeing no tattoos among the Iowa players. It would be a profound turn-off. I wonder if the Iowa coach has a rule against this. I do not respect tattoos as artistic expression. I think it's almost mutilation. 
I would consider the Iowa women "attractive" by the standards of typical heterosexual men. Not a real high bar here. But I would be discouraged to see a team of women seeming rather, well, "butch." Oh no, we might be stepping in it with that term. I can respect all kinds of women but I also have my preferences. 
 
The women's look
The Iowa women have mostly left their hair long as women traditionally have. It's tied up in back. "Ponytail" is the term? But they have no aversion at all to the standard women's look with longer hair than men. I detest Republicans and conservatives these days - Marsha Blackburn - the kind of people who feel it's so essential to have "boys" and "girls" so clearly delineated. I don't like the dark place where they are coming from with this, their motives. But we all reserve the right to make personal aesthetic judgments. 
"Butch" women are just fine. But they wouldn't get me interested in a women's basketball team. I'm totally with the alternative. 
 
The rising tide
Even the more masculine women have to be happy about what the Hawkeyes are doing for women's basketball now. A rising tide lifts all boats. After all these years, we're waking up to how truly entertaining the women's game can be. A friend tells me he agrees, and he adds that right now the women's collegiate game is more appealing to watch than the men's. Agreed. 
More appealing than the NBA? Well yes.
She's No. 1: Caitlin Clark
The Iowa women beat LSU and then we got the silly issue of whether LSU was being disrespectful by not being present on the floor for the National Anthem! I fully believe the coach when she says the team needs the time immediately pre-game to finalize strategy and focus. But such are the times we are in.
 
Addendum: From an email I sent to a friend:
Our girls basketball program in Morris needs an injection of something. Find the right person and then create a position for that person. I don't care if it costs district extra $.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment