History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Happy state of affairs at Faith Lutheran

Things going great at Faith Lutheran, Morris
It is middle of the night going into Sunday. Another Sunday. Another Lenten season which I really do not understand. I don't understand the little charcoal mark or whatever it is on the foreheads of people. I used to see this with some guests on cable TV news. I'd sometimes think they neglected their appearance, got careless and let this embarrassing thing appear on TV. I would get enlightened, as it was just part of the Christian superstition or voodoo experience. A little charcoal mark. I just don't get it. 
A little thimble full of grape juice is supposed to be "the blood of Christ." People have a right to their superstitions or legitimate beliefs. 
The reason I sound a little contrary to Christianity today - in the middle of the night actually - is that Donald Trump appears ever more menacing for us all. If the vast majority of us would just turn our backs on him, perhaps just start dismissing him as a total con man or mental case, we could move forward. But no. And Christianity has been a huge part of Trump's base for moving forward. Continues to this very day. 
I have advised my Apostolic friends "beware false prophets." And yet I am the one who gets rejected, dissed, teased even by those who want to write me off like I'm some sort of pest. 
Nikki Haley
What of Nikki Haley? Why can't Christian conservatives warm up to her? Although I would have policy differences with her I'm sure, she is a very warm, classy and honest person. Would find it refreshing if she were to be in the news every day instead of the "Orange Jesus." And I really do think most Trump supporters out here in western Minnesota view Donald Trump as the equivalent of Jesus. 
"Beware false prophets," I tell people. Or at least I try. No headlines about Trump are going to discourage the fanatical "Christians" from supporting him, or from speaking about Joe Biden and the Democrats in the most insulting terms. But this equivalence between Christianity and MAGA is what concerns me early this morning, Sunday, as people get set to attend church again. 
We have a curious situation in our Morris. The ELCA has two churches in Morris. The ELCA has taken tremendous slings and arrows for its reputation of being "liberal." The whole collapse began with the gay rights issue, but it has extended to other things. But while one of the two ELCA churches here, First Lutheran, has shown actual death throes, the other one has gained considerable momentum. That other one is Faith Lutheran, a church that long had a reputation for being riven with conflict. Times change as do people. Faith Lutheran has all the momentum now. Congrats to that church on how the old conflict is gone! Hallelujah! 
I have some good friends at Faith Lutheran including the Uhoffs, Spohrs and McNallys. And of course others. I see them only rarely because we go to different churches, most unfortunate. Covid was of course an ordeal. We have drifted back to normalcy or normality or whatever the word would be. 
But First Lutheran has not been able to get back on its feet. There are signs of resignation or defeat now. We'll be going to an 11 a.m. service and "borrowing" other area clergy for our services. This has got to be deemed strange. I sent an email to the Uphoffs yesterday (Saturday). I share it here but with three or four sentences omitted because of you-know-what kind of concerns.
 
Hello Gary and Karen - Congrats on the success of Faith Lutheran Church these days. I attended last Wednesday night because the First Luth. people were formally invited. I wasn't there for the meal but from the sound of things, it was a full crowd. If First Luth. had even attempted a meal, it would have been maybe 10-15 people. That's just the way it is now. I suppose we should ask why. 

As I sat at Faith Luth. Wednesday, I thought about the First Luth. building and how very rapidly it is becoming outdated. The multi-floor layout is the problem. Steps and stairs everywhere you look, even outside the building as you enter. They are all over the place, and there was a time when we thought nothing of it - amazing! There are more older people now, plus more obese people frankly, and so going up and down steps is more of an issue. Obese people have trouble looking down, it's just a fact. People can get hurt navigating steps. Faith Luth. has absolutely none. Whoever designed the building was really looking ahead.

It is odd how First Luth. has fallen on such hard times, even if you disregard the building. There was a time when Faith had an image of struggling based on "conflict" there. Ugh, I hate that. I eventually found out that when Pastor Dell agreed to come here, he did so with the stipulation that a certain individual resign.

It looks to me like Pastor Emmy wants to avoid ANYTHING that might be seen as political. I think certain ELCA ministers are realizing that for their denomination to survive, this is the approach to take: just emphasize the gospel and the standard material. But even that is not so easy! Pastors are reporting getting complaints when they quote Jesus Christ from the Sermon on the Mount - really, this is happening - and this is because Jesus could sound a little "liberal" at times. Like Bernie Sanders! And I kind of like Bernie Sanders. 

Some people in my church thought Pastor Dan got "too political" and I heard comments even when I thought his sermons were reasonable. One problem is that we have joined the Palestinian cause so strongly. Ever since the new violence there, I think this is a good issue to stay away from. Personally I do not approve of Israel. But ministers should steer clear. I think Emmy does very well emphasizing the safe things. The young families obviously enjoy her.

On Wed. night I sat back in the corner of your church and tried just to be inconspicuous. I did not go up for communion. Actually I have never liked communion. It requires some dexterity! And so many people are watching! I can do it if I have to. A young family with children came and sat right next to me and I appreciated that.

I wouldn't rule out simply switching and attending Faith. First Luth. was always the Williams family church but times change and personalities change. Actually Mom decided to affiliate with things on the EAST SIDE OF THE TRACKS! I have close friends at Faith like you, the McNallys and the Spohrs. I don't get to see you very often. 

Unfortunately I wrote out a check to First Luth. in December. And now I hear we'll have services at 11:00 on Sundays, that way so we can "borrow" other local clergy like your Emmy. I assume the Faith Luth. council knows about this and approves it? There must be something in it for Faith Luth. I can't see you doing it just out of the goodness of your hearts. Faith Luth. could "absorb" First Luth. and you could always start two services on Sunday like First Luth. had for most of its history. But you might not even have to do that. I have told people that maybe the First Luth. building should have been turned over to the LCMC. That way it could keep its conservative members. I could probably attend an LCMC service and not notice any difference! So sad how gay rights disrupted everything so much.

I really don't like the 11:00 service time, just too late. Not my habits. 

Oh, when I give money to church I never do it with the offering plates, I just periodically write out a check. Maybe just one check a year but it would be sizable.

I'll see you guys at DeToy's if nothing else!!! Oh, and Linda Anderson too!

God's peace,
Brian Williams
This image is from the Faith Lutheran Church website. In my opinion it underscores the overly-violet imagery associated with Easter. When did this trend start? Was it with the Mel Gobson movie? Why do we let Hollywood influence us so much? It's a "dream factory." I find Easter to be a good time to stay away from church. Who wants to hear about the literal torture of a man leading up to crucifixion? It has been observed that no human being could survive the torture and abuse that Christ received leading up to his being nailed onto the cross. Why do we subject our kids to this imagery? Let's allow our kids to celebrate Easter with a chocolate bunny instead! There's joy there.
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment