History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Roaring start, then a fade for MACA girls at home

MACA volleyball showed potential for getting out of its early-season funk on Tuesday. Indeed the Tigers were strong as the action got going in front of the home fans. The home crowd may have buoyed the orange and black as they took Game 1 by a 25-17 score. 
We're in search of our first season win. The win was not forthcoming Tuesday in spite of the strong start. On the other side of the net was BOLD, the Warriors. They took a close Game 2 and built up steam after that. The Tigers fell to 0-7 on the young season. A long road lies ahead for seeking a reversal in fortunes. 
The West Central Tribune website reported that the match was played in Olivia. I found contrary reporting on our (fine) radio station website, and this was confirmed by a check of the "Minnesota Scores" site. Erratum, West Central Tribune. 
If the Tigers' fortunes pick up, Brienna Dybdahl might well have a key role. On Tuesday this Tiger had 14 assists and ten digs. We remember her as fast-pitch softball pitcher from last spring. Speaking of softball - ahem - wasn't the new Holmberg Field going to get lights for night play? Didn't the funeral home get credit some time back for providing $ for this goal? I regularly walk past the place and I see no lights up at either the new varsity field or the new secondary field. Did I misunderstand something? 
Actually I have noticed no new work or new construction, outside of a few piles of dirt (?), so I'm wondering how the significant new infusion of $ from the school board will play out. Something like $220,000, right? I believe the amount had been revised upward. Prices never get revised downward. We could only expect price hikes coming out of the pandemic slowdown. 
Actually it looks like we may be entering a new slowdown. We're fervently hoping such a development does not happen. But we've been warned about what will likely happen with the cooler and drier air of fall. Sorry folks but brace yourselves. 
Speaking of price hikes, a popular restaurant in town - frankly there aren't many of them - has "new menus" out as of this morning. I was offered a look but I declined. I can withstand some price inflation now, grudgingly yes, because I do not have a girlfriend. 
 
Parking redux
I see no progress with developing a parking resource at the softball complex. The school superintendent has exited his position, I guess due to a family health matter. Good luck to him, but who now will talk to Marshall at the radio station re. the complex? I remember Supt. Ferguson confirming a "re-design" with the project. I just had to interpret that as basically a scaling-down. And if that's true, I wish it had been presented as such, just from the standpoint of transparency and yes, honesty. 
But I guess Ferguson is out of the picture now. The taxpayers are never out of the picture. Is there a "watchdog?"
Marshall himself tells me he thinks the new parking might be restricted to handicapped, but that was not my initial understanding. The supt. made it sound like the developers only suddenly had the realization that errant balls could hit windshields. As I have responded previously, why not this realization from the start? I do question the sincerity of communications. 
I can't imagine next spring will dawn with no improvements in parking, because the place was a dangerous mess last spring, the danger confirmed by none other than my old friend Mark Ekren, school activities director, at a public meeting. "Someone's gonna get run over." And if the new fields get lit and we see night games, well holy mackerel, the danger will be compounded enormously along Prairie Lane. 
I refer to Prairie Lane as "boondoggle alley" because the city's water treatment plant is there too. 
 
Volleyball vs. BOLD
So Dybdahl was a top contributor for MACA volleyball on Tuesday. Her stats were a nifty "double double." Then we see Kortney Sanasack as quite active on the floor with her 23 digs. Maddy Grove came at the Warriors with six kills and a block. Whitney Bruns executed eight assists and also performed eight digs. 
We lost some of the sizzle from Game 1 and got bested narrowly, 25-27. It was downhill from there, 14-25 and 11-25. 
The West Central Tribune online coverage had no individual stat details for the Tigers. It's nice to see that the "Minnesota Scores" site is now current with schedule and W/L info. 
Leslie Snow executed well for the victorious Warriors. Snow accumulated eleven kills. She dug up the ball ten times and performed three ace serves. Delaney Tersteeg facilitated the attack with 21 set assists. Lidia Plass was a back row stalwart with 19 digs. Layla Pfarr sent three serve aces at the Tigers, as did Snow, and TerSteeg had two serve aces. Abby Meyers went up for seven ace blocks. BOLD came out of the night at 2-0.
 
TV movie recalls history
My podcast episode for today, Sept. 8, springs from the new made-for-TV movie about the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal and subsequent impeachment. Clinton was not removed from office. I'm a Democrat who now feels ashamed thinking back on all that. I invite you to visit my Morris Mojo podcast:
 
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment