History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Fishing? Not my raison d'etre but it's a nice escape

Dad and I once fished for bullheads on Pomme de Terre Lake
Huckleberry Finn would be proud of the surge of interest in fishing. The Mark Twain character much preferred this activity over going to school. It is a fact we're seeing an uptick in fishing. As an escape outlet this activity has merit. It was never my cup of tea but that's just me.
My father made commendable attempts to get me interested. We sought panfish and northern pike on Pelican Lake near Brainerd. That's the lake where Breezy Point is located. It is prime for the whole array of recreational pursuits. We are not so fortunate in Stevens County, though we do have bodies of water here. You're never far from bodies of water in Minnesota.
We could use some clarity with lake names in the Morris area. The body of water by the dam once had a distinct name: "Lake Chrissey." It was named for a state lawmaker who must have done some effective things. But the name did not stick. It's sad to recognize that the body of water isn't quite big enough to be recognized as a real lake. A wide spot on the river? Officially it's referred to as the Pomme de Terre reservoir. Nothing romantic about that. I have suggested just pounding a simple sign into the ground reminding of "Lake Chrissey," but as is typical with my suggestions, no receptiveness.
I have suggested we at least start some whispering about planning for the Morris Sesquicentennial which would be in 2021. That's next year, knaves! I would expect some sort of committee to get going, at least. A bad omen was the near-death of Prairie Pioneer Days, first moved to the fall and then reduced to one day. I must congratulate Rae Yost, former newspaper editor, on her cute way of acknowledging the one-day format: "Let's call it Prairie Pioneer DAY." Had I written that, I'd be accused of taking a snarky sort of potshot at community leaders. Of course, if the shoe fits. . .
A precise fit of the shoe never gave yours truly enough cover for incisive journalism. "Oh, is that what you did," my old critics would say, people who criticized virtually everything I did all day, so as to ensure my ideas wouldn't gain currency.
I have suggested in the past that lake names be adjusted for greater clarity, because at present we have Pomme de Terre City Park along with the Pomme de Terre Lake chain several miles north of Morris. You could live in Morris quite a while and not even be aware of the Pomme de Terre Lake chain. It's not real visible from Highway 59 North (going toward Barrett). These lakes are big enough to be considered true lakes. As a child I took swim lessons there. Also, the present-day Pomme de Terre City Park (once a state park) had a diving raft in front of the main shelter. The shelter building is looking worn down - might be nice to replace. No chance of any swimming on any of the wide parts of the river now.
 
A past asset, defunct
Morris history should never overlook the years we had the "earthen pool" at the city park. It had a heyday when it was genuinely popular. Actual lifeguards worked there. They had to clear the pool for taking a break. They'd yell at you if you "got on the dike." A young child did die out there, which might have been a factor in its fading. Today that spot is a swampy little body of water just to the north of the shelter. On a hot July day that place could really be hopping, take my word.
Where does one go for outdoor swimming in the Morris area now? We can't all pile into Judge Keith Davison's place (LOL).
The Pomme de Terre Lake chain north of Morris is technically three lakes but it seems more like two. Back in the days when the water was more friendly for recreational use, it was a hotspot for summer fun and even had a pavilion/roller rink. Some married couples first met there. Over the years the water became more foul.
As a kid I swam once in Page Lake by Hancock. There actually were a large number of kids there that day. Was I in the minority for getting bad "lake itch?" Because I surely got it - never went back.
It's "Perkins Lake" on official maps. See at library.
The main lake of the Pomme de Terre chain is identified as "Perkins Lake" on official maps. Strange, because I was taught to call it "Pomme de Terre Lake," and the welcome sign at the access has that name. I haven't been out there for some time and assume the sign is still there. I used to take an occasional long bike ride to the access and return home using the state highway shoulder (especially if the wind was at my back). Then, because of concerns about distracted driving, I stopped riding bike on state highway shoulders completely. With a good strong wind it was exhilarating to ride bike back home!
Lots of residential development along Highway 59 North and it's spread out. Lots of nice places to live. Wintermute Lake is not visible from the highway. If you want to go see it, you'll end up at a dead end in the yard of Roger and Carol McCannon! You'll probably feel momentarily embarrassed by that. Roger told me the narrow winding road that goes out there is not a problem for winter travel because the surrounding forest discourages drifting snow. That's a highly historic spot in Morris annals: where the Wadsworth Trail meandered through in the pre-railroad days. The old "Gager Station" site is private property.
Wadsworth Trail is commemorated by a plaque at East Side Park in Morris.
 
Did Les Kouba ever paint bullheads?
My dad took me bullhead fishing on Pomme de Terre (or Perkins) Lake when I was a kid.
When I began asking about the contradiction of "Pomme de Terre Lake" vs. "Perkins," the answer was always the same: "The Perkins name was important out there." I don't doubt that at all. But the point I make is: there should be one accepted name of the lake. But again, I doubt my words carry weight, just like my hints about the Sesquicentennial for 2021 are probably futile. Because after all, this is Morris MN, home of a sort of zombie consciousness. Strange. Do we have a Chamber of Commerce?
The current surge in fishing interest is noted in a St. Paul Pioneer Press article by Dave Orrick: "Amid a global pandemic, economic recession and profound racial tension in the summer before a heated election season, Minnesotans are going fishing in numbers not seen in decades."

Addendum: Judge Davison of the pool has some notoriety in his background which might now be appreciated with the news that Calvin Griffith's statue has been removed. But I will elaborate no further on that. It's really a generational issue, the argument goes, but the argument faces much more of an uphill battle now, to say the least.
 
Addendum #2: I once wrote a song called "Fishing Anthem." I suppose it has some cute aspects but on the whole it didn't really hit the bullseye. Sometimes a songwriter gets into songs like that, and we work real hard to finish it even though we realize it isn't going anywhere. I would suggest that in order to write some good songs, you must toil at completing some off-the-mark ones too. It's just an instinct. My song has a touch of misogyny, even more unforgivable now than when I first wrote it. Let history record that I finished the song called "Fishing Anthem" and here is it, drum roll please. Happy fishing. (You won't see me there.)

"Fishing Anthem"
by Brian Williams

Way back in January
I felt so all alone
My wife just yawned and moseyed on
And left me on the dole
In June I was drifting
Bereft of all romance
I said thank God for the fishing rod
That He put in my hands

In fall my car sputtered
Just when the funds were low
I had to fret with college debt
For classes long ago
The snows of December
Just made things cold as hell
I had my spear and sipped a beer
Within my fishhouse realm

BRIDGE:
I feel joy when I wet a line
I could live in a fishhouse fine

In spring I was happy
To walk through nature's door
The flowing streams and eagle's screams
Were nectar for my soul
I practiced my casting
Until I was a whiz
I could just troll until I'm old
As if I were a kid

(instrumental break)

(repeat bridge)

My year was a story
Of landing on my feet
The money's gone but life goes on
Beneath God's canopy
When I go to heaven
I know one thing for sure
The only thing I need to bring
Is all my fishing lures


Peace, June 2020 - Brian R. Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com
This rustic winding road takes you to Wintermute Lake, off Highway 59 North.

No comments:

Post a Comment