History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Friday, August 23, 2019

Extracurricular gets going with 7-0 tennis victory

We're on for a new school year of extracurricular. Tennis always gets going early. It's refreshing to see media coverage of the student-athletes. Tennis is a wholly uplifting and healthy sport. It's a lifetime sport.
The girls play in the fall. And the boys? Well, we have not had a boys tennis program for some time, here at Morris Area. You should know that we once did. I covered both the boys and girls over a long time with the local print media. This was with the Morris Sun Tribune.
Some coaches were easier to work with than others. I did not care for Steve Harter. We could live with him as tennis coach but he seemed incapable with girls basketball. Don't know how or why he got that job.
One year I was sharing frustration about this with the mother of the team's best player. Her response: "Brian, the reason you're having those problems is because he doesn't know anything about what he's doing."
Who made the decision to appoint him? I know that prior to his third year as GBB coach - it's generally understood that coaches get three years - a meeting with parents was held where Mary Holmberg spoke, apparently in order to calm people down and get them to accept the status quo a little longer.
I told a parent that the parents should have just taken over the meeting. I often had advice in those days! The parents were often mollified but not always. Oh no, because a movement erupted in about 1988 that got things rather unsettled for a time. It was not entirely a success, we should note. But I guess the primary aim was achieved: forcing an adjustment in basic attitude or philosophy. And, sending a message that parents cannot be counted on to always be sheep.
Fast-forward to today: I think public school districts everywhere have had to adjust to a system that demands accountability. "Those damn parents." I remember a time when school staffers would mutter "those damn parents" and get away with their attitude, in effect shooing away parents much of the time. The teachers were blessed by power of bureaucracy. But times have changed. Just pay attention to all the promos for the "K12" online learning system, which appears to be a viable alternative to the traditional prison-like school environment. Way to go, state of Minnesota!
I don't know who the Morris tennis coach is now.
I worked with a tennis coach for several years who I sensed had the job because of networking with staff including Holmberg. A pleasant fellow, yes. But I remember that for a long time, in the tenures of both him and Harter, it seemed like we lost 0-7 a lot. Well, the story for the opening of the 2019 season is most to the contrary: a 7-0 win! Fantastic. We shut out Parkers Prairie on Friday, Aug. 16.
The upbeat story begins at first singles where Abbigail Athey defeated Analise Marquardt 6-4 and 6-4. Katelyn Wehking prevailed at second singles over Adrianna Marotto 6-2 and 6-2. Then at third singles, it was Ryanne Long taking care of business vs. Megan Reigstad 6-0 and 6-2. The No. 4 singles slot saw Katie Messner defeat Aili Toyli 6-2 and 6-1.
The doubles division had Greta Hentges and Kassidy Girard vying at No. 1. The two prevailed over Reghan DeBoer and Hannah Samuelson 6-1 and 6-2. The No. 2 Tiger pair of Hannah Watzke and Lakia Manska downed Ashley Vogt and Lizzie Vogt 6-0 and 6-0. Then at No. 3, the tandem of Ireland Winter and Hailey Jackson defeated Emerson Marquardt and Audrey Ruckheim 6-2 and 6-4.
 
Something about a rafter
I should finish the little story I told about the meeting prior to Steve Harter's third year with Morris GBB. After sharing with my parent friend about how parents should have taken over the meeting, he acknowledged that the sentiment in the room was exactly like that. He said most everyone "wanted to hang (the coach) from the highest rafter."
That's a colorful quote that I could not share in my days with the Morris newspaper. I can share it now. It gives perspective. It shows that parents can develop strong feelings on these issues, even if they are sheepish or easily intimidated much of the time. Intimidated by the bureaucracy.
It appears the bureaucracy cannot push people around like it used to. It used to have the power of monopoly behind it. Harter got his third year with hoops and did not do well. I got into another conversation with the parent I just cited. He said Harter was hoping to get some extra punch with Chokio-Alberta athletes coming over.
I remember a predecessor of Harter's who was hoping that C-A star Christy Staples might come over. I had a school board friend then who was very downbeat about Tiger GBB, and her response to this report or rumor was: "Would it really matter?" Her point was that mediocre coaching would pretty much guarantee mediocre results. I agreed with her fully.
I first covered Tiger girls hoops when Holmberg was the coach. Back then, the bleachers were pulled out on only one side of the gym (the 1968 gym) for girls games. I was surprised how long that practice continued. The school belatedly started opening all the bleachers for boys and girls. Today of course we have a whole new gym, most spacious.
I saw my first Tiger games at the old elementary gym/auditorium, part of the complex that was torn down. It wasn't called "elementary" then, it was totally the high school.
I watched MHS basketball when Andy Papke was the coach. And Roger Schnaser. I was the same age as prolific scorer Gary Lembcke. Lots of special memories.
Good luck to the MACA athletes for the new school year? I'll withhold that comment for football where I feel the boys should just quit and find other things to do with their time. Football is too dangerous. Life is too short, so take care of your brain. Fortunately I never played football.
I have suggested in the past that our school try bringing back boys tennis. Many comparable size schools offer it. I'm always told there wasn't enough interest. Some advocates need to go to work remedying that.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment