History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Alexandria MN has an allure for us Morris folks

The sun sets at Lake Latoka, my favorite Alexandria lake.
I remember reading an item in the UMM student newspaper, many years ago, wondering why "Alec" was such a popular shorthand for Alexandria. Why not "Alex?" I had never thought about this. References to Alexandria are common in Morris.
We're probably a little too far away from that hub community to risk having our whole business district circle the drain. That fate has apparently been experienced by Hector, located a half hour's drive from a cluster of big box stores. We're about 45 minutes from "Alec," right? These days, be aware of detours out and about. I'd advise just staying away from Glenwood. The Lowry route is rather agreeable.
We can all compile a list of one-time prominent Morris residents who moved to the Alexandria area. Are we to be envious of them? Do they sense that the good life is more attainable there? The lakes are certainly a magnet, although I've never considered those lakes as nice as those in the Brainerd area. I heard when young that all lakes in our part of the state present some risk for "lake itch." The risk may not be a constant but it's there. I remember coming out of the lake after a swim session by Starbuck, only to see a sign advising people not to swim that day. Maybe I took a hot shower as soon as I got home. I had no problems.
Brainerd was the hometown of my recently-deceased mother. I got spoiled with my experience at the Brainerd area lakes, what I would call God's country. It was mainly at Pelican Lake where Breezy Point is.
Just yesterday (Friday) I made the trip to Lake Latoka by Alexandria. There's a nice public swimming beach there. It isn't real big but it's big enough. I discovered the place many years ago thanks to a map of Alexandria. Sans map, it would be impossible to find the place even if you were on the right road. You take the road that goes past Viking Speedway and the fairgrounds. You then have to know the precise place to turn left, then you take a right and go a block or so, and you're there. I brought a lawn chair to capture the sun's rays sans sunscreen, as I am a boomer who when young saw it as a status symbol to get a nice rich tan in summer.
It was mostly all kids out in the water. I find it important to get that occasional splash in the lake, most likely because of my childhood experiences in Brainerd. I went fishing with my father.
My mother has been gone from this existence for nearly two months. Going to "Alec" as a pleasure trip was not something I could consider toward the end when she was alive.
On Thursday night I attended the open house for that big factory-type dairy operation between Herman and Wheaton. Quite impressive. And the food was good. It's interesting to see some people who I may not have seen in a very long time, like Pastor Bock, formerly of Zion Lutheran in Morris. I had binoculars in the car because on the way home, I wanted to stop at Niemackl Park south of Herman. It had been a long time since I walked those trails. Niemackl presents such an anomalous environment by the standards of the general Morris area. We're fundamentally flat prairie. The rich forest environment of Niemackl with bodies of water is a departure. It's known as a birdwatching hotspot. I have been there more than once with this as my primary aim.
The results? Indeed, one can be surrounded by the sounds of abundant birds. But I have found it difficult to identify individual birds. I do remember seeing a beautiful American redstart once. I have heard that scarlet tanagers can be spotted there, if you're lucky. There's a YouTube video shot at Niemackl that shows a solitary muskrat in winter taking care of its daily business. I put bug spray generously on my ankles before going on the trail. Wood ticks can be an issue. But I recommend an outing there for everyone.
How wonderful if my mom could still be alive. But life is a finite quality for all of us. We try to solve every little problem as it comes along. But as the doctor said to the "Lucky" character (Harry Dean Stanton) in the movie "Lucky": "I don't know of anyone who has lived forever. Eventually the body breaks down." I recommend that movie which I checked out at our Morris Public Library, on recommendation of Anne Barber.
My forays to "Alec" clearly show me how the world is changing. There is a high-tech soda dispenser at the Burger King restaurant that intimidates me. One time it asked "are you still there?" I'm a 63-year-old who is forced into adjusting by all the changes and advancements around us. There is an intersection heading out of Alexandria, toward Glenwood, called a "roundabout." I'd put that in the same category as the robotic soda fountain. I'm a little taken aback. A friend tells me "these are strange to navigate the first time." OK, so I'm not alone. I thought the detours were disconcerting enough. My friend attributes the oddball intersection to "liberal Americans thinking we should be like Europeans."
"Alec" gets choked by traffic this time of year. I'm reminded of an old quip from the late Walt Sarlette of Morris: "Don't these people have homes?" I have never felt comfortable in very thick traffic. But, one thing that really helps today is the prevalence of left-turn lanes with left-turn signals. Horrors if it were not for this.
 
Mall in Alexandria on its last legs?
But my biggest shock upon visiting Alex now is this: the death spiral of the shopping mall. Who could have ever foreseen this? We're even reading in the Alexandria paper about a possible "sheriff's sale" of the mall. Over the years, when my parents and I considered a trip to Alexandria, the whole idea was to visit the mall, Viking Plaza Mall. It was the whole reason for going. We'd eat at the Brass Lantern. We'd browse and see familiar faces. I had to check out the bookstore, now closed.
There are at present two bookstores on Alex's main street. But the mall cannot sustain one. Where can I now buy "America's Civil War" at the newsstand? Not downtown, because I asked.
Main street of Alexandria seems very alive with rows of specialty shops, so many I can hardly make note of all of them as I walk along. Good for downtown Alexandria. But I consider the mall experience more user-friendly. Am I right to consider downtown Alexandria to be re-vitalized? My friend tells me no, that's misleading. He refers to "all those little foo-foo shops" as being practical to run in the summer tourist season, not so much otherwise.
I cannot fathom why Viking Plaza Mall if dying. Popular theories include people's preference for Amazon and other online vehicles for shopping. Are we ready to jettison the social experience of shopping, the ambience etc.? "The future is not bright for small businesses," my friend says. Maybe I should have a little talk with that soda dispenser.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment