History-making music group for UMM - morris mn

History-making music group for UMM - morris mn
The UMM men's chorus opened the Minnesota Day program at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition).

Friday, April 13, 2018

Clontarf MN: we pass by but need to appreciate

(lakesnwoods image)
I wonder why Benson became a more vital town than Clontarf. Clontarf is one of those places on the map that we really don't associate with anything. Some might toss out the term "wide place in the road." In an earlier time, "whistle stop" might describe (a town where a train wouldn't actually stop, it would "blow its whistle").
Those of us who travel between Morris and Willmar, or Hancock and Benson, are well familiar with the town name. It's just a point of reference, a sign you're between Hancock and Benson.
Approaching Benson, we know we're getting close to a convenient Dairy Queen!
Benson seems a comparable town to Morris. Benson and Morris were prime sports rivals in my youth. I no longer believe in investing emotions in sports at any level. We leave a wreckage behind us of dashed dreams. Does winning really make us happier? It's illusory. When I was a kid, I heard out and about that Benson had a disproportionately high percentage of "druggies." Truth or mere urban legend? I don't know. I do know that Morris was hardly free of that problem. Talk about leaving emotional wreckage behind you.
As the years passed, I got the impression that Benson was one of those towns beset with petty political conflicts and controversies. The funeral home and radio station were at each other's throats there once. A script from Andy Griffith to be sure. And then we head east toward Willmar, the "big town."
Benson and Morris have had a partnership in hockey. It never made sense to me: there is no natural sense of affinity between the towns, the distance in between is rather great (about 26 miles), and the program's name of "MBA" is sterile and doesn't immediately convey where on the map it is, similar to BOLD and MACCRAY. All these programs should be named after a specific town - the other towns can be content being along for the ride. Get over it.
I won the Benson Kid Day 10-kilometer footrace in 1985. I hope the historical annals there have this preserved. It was the best race I ever ran.
Benson is where I saw my orthodontist in the 1960s: Dr. Albani, an agreeable and light-hearted person. He made sure I got a "retainer" after the braces were taken off. I went through all that in my junior high years. A photo of me from then is a perfect candidate for the "Get Mortified" website where people share stories and photos from those clumsy adolescent years. "Your hair is a mess," Randy Thraen said to me. I capitulated to adolescence. I should have started combing my hair straight back at a younger age. So much hindsight now that I'm in my 60s.
The last motorcoach tour taken by my mom was with Riley's which is located on the same highway en route to Willmar. Dad and I picked her up and she started telling us about all the excitement, and included in all this was a reference to one of her trip-mates: "Dr. Albani." She didn't know our old connection. That Alaska trip ended just weeks before the 9-11 attacks. Part of her trip included air travel. Based on all the stuff that transpired with terrorists, it seemed a good time to bring my mother's travels to a close. She had been to many places with both Riley's and Utopia Tours.
Clontarf has a far more interesting history than you'd suspect upon passing through. There was a time way back when, when families arrived daily to settle around Clontarf, brought there by James J. Hill's trains. The Clontarf "colony" had the Catholic Church as its pulse. The first priest was Father Anatole Oster. He named the parish "St. Malachy" for an Irish saint. Let's review how Clontarf itself got its name: early arrivals coined this based on the site of the 11th Century victory of Irish King Brian Boru over Viking invaders. I'm happy to see a "Brian" do well but I'm chagrined about the Vikings being vanquished, since I have Norwegian lineage.
Clontarf quickly grew into a vibrant village. There was an influx of Irish immigrants. The colony grew so much, Clontarf Township split. The settlers faced challenges and adversity. Grasshoppers might invade! The lighter soil lent itself to hay and grasses. Feed and bedding were needed for animals in the horse-powered society of the time. Clontarf hay was used by the Chicago Fire Department!
The industrial school of Clontarf was a significant chapter. Established with quite fine ideals, it couldn't get going. Then there was the experiment with educating Indian children just like here in Morris - an uphill challenge. Intentions were good but obstacles great. Many of the Indians stayed at the school only one term. Few showed any interest in learning the industrial arts.
Back in the early '80s I heard that a Morris school faculty member was planning his wedding anniversary celebration at the Clontarf Club. I had always seen a road sign or billboard identifying that establishment. Intrigued, I showed up for the party and photographed Dave Holman, his wife Darlene and family for a photo that appeared in the Morris paper. Neat! I began a personal trend of attending the Holmans' anniversary gatherings. Sadly, Darlene Holman has left us. Dave can be seen at McDonald's on many mornings.
The passage of time waits for no one. History has its ups and downs with drama. How fine if I could re-create the "glory" of winning the Benson Kid Day 10K! Many towns have scaled back and now only have a 5K. I haven't kept track of Benson. For many years I covered the Benson-Hancock American Legion baseball team for the Hancock Record. Today there is no Hancock Record. I hope my contributions to this area's history are noted and appreciated.
- Brian Williams - morris mn minnesota - bwilly73@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment